Sunday, November 17, 2013

Wods for Warriors Competition



We had a really fun time at the comp this weekend. Great turnout, venue and people.

Overall I was pleased with my performance and most importantly enjoyed myself and did not get myself stressed with any pressure.


Some highlights and Learnings:
Wod 1 - version of Nate: 10 min AMRAP of 8 Toes to rings, 8 HSPUs, 8 KBS 1.5pd
Most "worried" about this one due to the HSPUs - controlled my stress but not going out too hot and paced the first half, got a lot stronger by the end and caught up with the others in my heat. Was the last person to finish their 1st round, but tied for 4th overall.  Learning: I was a bit too subdued going into this wod and didn't have any adrenline - which I think made me hold back too much. Also I realized I was able to rest on my head and shake out arms on the HSPUs rather than coming down from the wall every time - awesome! Probably best HSPU performance yet. Bummer -got no repped a lot on one of the rounds because my left foot was not touching wall - focused hard on that all remaining rounds.




Wod 2 - DT (10 min timecap)
I was the smallest athlete in the RX women's division and overall was 7th in this wod (second from last) , however I didn't lag too far behind and finished in 7:53. I had a ton more adrenline and ump going into this wod because I almost missed the start and got a "no show". I heard my name on the loud speaker and had to literally run to our tent outside and grab my lifting shoes and tape my thumbs while running back inside also trying to put my shoes on, made it just in time to meet my judge and start DT!
Learning - Don't sweat your weaknesses too much - I worried about the Jerks the most and it was actually not so bad and I did all Jerks all rounds UB. Also when true adrenaline is involved there is not need to warm up for DT.

Wod 3 - Brian - 2 RFT: 5 rope climbs 15 feet, 25 backsquats (115#)
Major highlight because going into this wod I was in 6th place and I crushed it and took 1st place overall for Brian (which later got me in a 3 way tie for 3rd overall - I will get to that piece of fun next). Going in I know I had an advantage on the rope over the other ladies, who were all bigger, but a small part of me worried a bit that they would catch me on squats. They never did. Time was 6:08. At CFA a few weeks ago on a shorter rope I was 6:50. Legs were totally unusable for about 3 mins after.
Learning - Going in I knew I would be done with rope climbs first and told myself "Be aggressive on the squats" because sometimes I rest with heavy weights when I actually don't need to. Paid off because finish time #2 was about 30-40 secs after me and I am so glad I did not widdle away 10 secs here, and there etc. mentally resting on the squats too much. 
Tiebreaker:
After Wod 3, About 10 mins go by and I am drinking a recovery shake and the head judge calls 3 of us over to tell us that we are in a 3 way tie for 3rd place womens Rx and that in about 5 mins we have to do Fran as the tiebreaker. pause. Jaw drop. pause. gulp. After seeing that look on all 3 of our faces, he adds "but don't worry it will be 15-12-9" and "at least you all will have the exact same amount of rest time". Like that makes it any better?
The 3 of us walked away immediately talking and bitching to each other about why Fran? Why not something else? Our legs are dead from those backsquats, arms dead too from the ropes etc...none of us wanted to do Fran, who frankly would?
We complained and gripped to each other and our friends and then just freaking went out there and did it. I was really tired mentally as I watched the clock tick down 5.4.3.2.1 and then luckily my brain just clicked off and I started to do the Thrusters and about 2:30 later I was done and had won the tie breaker. Doing 15 UB butterfly pull ups on the first round gave me the edge over the other 2 women, that was a PR!
Highlight- Feel as though I just went through some crazy crossfit rite of passage to have won a Fran-off!
 Post Fran-off

1 comment:

  1. So stinking proud of you lady! Well done! Got team itty bitty!

    ReplyDelete