Friday, February 6, 2015

Weekend in Savannah: Howard Cohen Classic meet


Spent a great weekend in Savannah GA to compete in the Howard Cohen Classic Weightlifting Meet. This meet served as a qualifying event for the Pan American Master's Weightlifting Championships which will take place June 4-7, 2015 back in Savannah GA. This was my 3rd sanctioned meet and I 
got some great experience at this meet and learned a lot! For Emily it was her first sanctioned meet. 
- The most nerve racking competition I have done to date and I learned how to tune out to outside distractions and intensely focus on my task at hand. The curtain that divided the warm up area from the platform was really kinda cool but also super intimidating.  
- The meet was running 1-1.5 hrs behind and I struggled to figure out when to warm up and the timing of it all. I learned to just listen to my coach and go with the flow. 
- Learned that I should have more snacks on hand so that if you are at a meet that is running 1-1.5hrs behind. Luckily our pod of friends and partners was super helpful in going to grab Emily and I stuff!

Overall I went 5/6, 121 kg total and got a 71 kg C&J competition PR. I missed my second snatch and recovered by making the third attempt. I was second in my division and met my goal of qualifying for the Pan Am masters and look forward to returning to Savannah in June!




No comments:

Post a Comment